Thursday, March 26, 2015

Sea Bass with Lebanese Herb Sauce

"March  Potluck", the theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). For our Potluck week, we are free to cook with any of our featured chefs at IHCC. And I've chosen to cook with Diana Henry, the current featured chef. We only have one more week to go, before we start with the next selected chef, Jacques Pepin, on April 6th.

Back in November, I have made one of Diana Henry's fish recipe, Spanish Baked Fish, and it was so good that I've made it one more time after that. Even now, I have a large piece of sea bass in my freezer, as I'm planning to make it again sometime this week. Yes, we love this dish a lot!

Diana Henry has quite a collection of interesting fish recipes. And this Sea Bass with Lebanese Herb Sauce is one of them. Seeing how much my family love her Spanish Baked Fish, I decided to try this recipe for dinner. Well, just as I've expected, this is a delicious dish.



Another quick and easy dish to cook. The sea bass is cleaned, gutted, scaled and make three slashes on each side of the fish. Brush the inside and out with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Put in a roasting pan and bake 8 minutes, for a small fish. The sea bass I used is quite large, so I baked it for about 25 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and cilantro and bake for a further 5 minutes or until the fish is fully cooked. Serve it immediately with the herb sauce.




For the herb sauce, I made some adjustments to the quantity of the herbs. Diana Henry has used a tablespoon each of chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped fresh mint leaves, and 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro. I know that my family loves more sauces in just about anything! So I have used more than the recipe calls for, about half a cup of flat-leaf parsley, a quarter cup of mint leaves and a whole cup of chopped fresh cilantro. Everything goes into the blender with the rest of the sauce ingredients, except the chopped fresh chilli which is to be added just before serving. Another adjustment I made was, to reduce the amount of olive oil from 1 cup to 1/3 cup and I feel that it was enough. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, as needed. Pour into a bowl, add in the chopped fresh chilli and serve immediately with the baked fish.




A very tasty dish. I'm so glad I've made more sauce! Very good eaten with the tender and flaky fish! I asked my family which fish dish they prefer, the Spanish Baked Fish or this? According to them both are delicious, but they would not mind having the Spanish Baked Fish again. Obviously they have a favourite! :)
My daughter seems to love this herby sauce. She says it is really delicious eaten with white rice, and she is right!


Sea Bass with Lebanese Herb Sauce
(adapted from "Pure Simple Cooking", Diana Henry)
Serves 4
4 (10-oz) whole sea bass or porgy, gutted, trimmed and scaled
olive oil
salt and pepper
1-1/2 tsp each of finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley and cilantro (I've used more!)

Sauce :
1 cup extra-virgin oil (I use about 1/3 cup)
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 tsp superfine sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley  (about 1/2 cup)
1 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves (about 1/4 cup)
2 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh cilantro (about 1 cup)
1 medium fresh red chile, halved, seeded, and chopped

  1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Make three slashes on each side of each fish. Brush the fish inside and out with olive oil and season with salt and pepper all over. Put into an ovenproof dish or roasting pan and bake for 8 minutes. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and cilantro. Bake for 5 minutes. The fish is cooked when the flesh near the bone is white and opaque.
  2. Put all the ingredients for the sauce, except the chile, into a blender and puree. Taste for seasoning, then add the chopped chile. Serve the fish immediately with the sauce.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week "March Potluck"




and

Cook-Your-Books


11 comments:

  1. So fresh and tasty! I like that herb sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce, I think this baked fish is wonderful! I must go and buy a nice fish for this. Can't wait to try it. I will also make extra sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fish! I seldom cook fish. Perhaps I should start cooking fish. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the way we like our fish in our house: whole fish and a delicious sauce. I'll sure give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sauce sounds wonderful! That's a beautiful fish too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how I wish there was a really good fishmonger in my rural backwater! The idea of dealing with a whole fish that has glistening eyes and brisht, moist, shiny scales and skin is so intriguing to me! This dish looks wonderful! And ... the idea of the herb sauce with a steaming bowl of white rice is mouth-watering too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, Joyce! That dressing sounds perfect for whole roasted fish, and with rice, a delicious meal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another gorgeous dish, Joyce! Too bad we are so far away from one another. I'm pretty sure we like all the same things and would have a ball cooking and eating together. My favorite fish is sea bass and I rarely find it here. This looks like a very promising recipe full of bright fresh flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although whole sea bass is hard to find here, I can imagine using that wonderful green sauce on almost any kind of fish. And soaking it up with rice sounds like a great idea too. Smart daughter! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love everything about this dish ... whole baked fish, delicious herby sauce - and plenty of it!! We don't get sea bass in my part of the world, but I think this would work fabulously with snapper, and making extra sauce was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete