Thursday, November 13, 2014

Rose-Drenched Yogurt Cake

"Mystery Box Madness", the theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). A new interesting monthly theme that IHCC has added to our weekly themes. We were given a list of ingredients and are required to select at least three, to be used in a recipe from any of our former featured chefs' or our current chef, Diana Henry. The list of ingredients for this month ; Harissa, Eggs, Safron, Pumpkin, Maple Syrup, Dates, Rose Water, Oranges, Spinach, and Chickpeas


 My choice of ingredients ; Rose Water, Orange, and Eggs ; which I've used to make ....


.... Rose-Drenched Yogurt Cake.

Originally, this cake is called Rose-Drenched Yogurt Cake with Summer Berries. Since I did not serve it with summer berries, so I just called it, Rose-Drenched Yogurt Cake. The recipe uses lime, and I have replaced it with orange to fit the theme.

The cake is very simple to make, just mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon, pour into the cake pan and bake! Easy peasy, takes just minutes.

As the name of the recipe, it uses Greek-style yoghurt as one of its ingredients. Now, Greek-style yoghurt is not easily available in the area where I live, and even if I can find it, it is pretty expensive. So I have made my own Greek-style yoghurt by using my own homemade yoghurt, placed in a sieve which is lined with double layer of cheesecloth, and place the sieve over a bowl to collect the whey, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight. From 2 cups of homemade yoghurt, I got almost a cup of Greek yoghurt, and a lot of whey! Discard the whey or use it to make bread.


Homemade Greek yoghurt


To make the syrup, in a small saucepan, boil the water, sugar, lime juice, until the sugar dissolves. Here I have made some changes, I use the juice of a whole orange, make up the balance with some water to make 1 cup, use only 4 tablespoons of sugar (original recipe uses 14 tablespoons!), I know that the amount of sugar I reduced is rather drastic, but I do not like to eat overly sweet cake, taking into account that there is sugar in the cake batter. That's just my personal preference, if you like cakes that are sweet, than follow the recipe accordingly. Once the syrup is cooled, stir in the rose water. 

Prepare the batter, by mixing the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 30-35 minutes (mine was baked for 40 minutes) until the cake is golden and a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it out to a plate, poke holes all over, and pour the syrup over the cake. Again, I have changed the method slightly. With the cake still in the cake pan, after making holes all over the cake, using a pastry brush, I brushed half the syrup over the top, making sure the syrup gets seeped right into the cake, then pour balance of the syrup all around the sides of the pan, so that the whole cake gets soaked up with the syrup.


Slice into slices to serve, with dusting of confectioners' sugar. 


The cake is very moist, with soft and tender crumbs. There's only a faint aroma of the rose water, maybe because I know its there! haha! Anyway, I feel that it needed a little more rose water, not too much, maybe another tablespoon, would be nice. On the other hand, maybe the juice of a whole orange that I've used, do have some effect to the aroma of the rose water.
This is really a simple cake, and it does not have that wow factor on that first bite as some cakes do, but it is quite lovely to eat  with a dusting of icing sugar and a cup of warm tea. I suppose it would be even better when served with creme fraiche and summer berries as indicated in the recipe.


Rose-Drenched Yogurt Cake with Summer Berries
(adapted from "Pure Simple Cooking", Diana Henry)
serves 8
syrup
1-1/4 cups water (I use the juice of a whole orange, then make up the balance with water to make 1 cup)
14 tbsp sugar (I use 4 tbsp)
juice of 2 limes (did not use this)
1 tbsp rose water

For the batter :
1-3/4 cups self-raising flour, sifted
1 cup ground almonds
9 tbsp sugar
a good pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup plain Greek-style yogurt
2/3 cup sunflower oil (I use canola oil)
finely grated zest of 1 lime (I use orange)

  1. To make the syrup, put the water, sugar, and lime juice into a saucepan. Heat gently, stirring to help the sugar dissolve. Bring to a boil and simmer for 7 minutes. Leave to cool, then add the rose water.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter an 8-inch springform pan. (I use a regular 8-inch cake pan). Combine the flour, almonds, sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl and make a well in the center. Add the eggs, yogurt, oil, and zest and mix with a wooden spoon. Pour into the pan and bake for 30 minutes. A skewer inserted into the middle of the cake should come out clean.
  3. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a plate. Pierce all over with a skewer and pour the syrup over the warm cake. Dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving (otherwise the sugar sinks into the syrupy top) and serve with berries and creme fraiche.



I'm linking this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week "Mystery Box Madness".

Monthly Mystery Box Madness Challenge!


and :
Cook-Your-Books

16 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce!
    Your cake looks absolutely lovely. I'm sure it is delicious with the changes you have made and of course your own homemade yogurt! I may have to try your method for strining the yogurt. I've been tying it in cheesecloth and then haging it from a wooden spoon. Your way seems so much easier. Thanks!

    Thanks for sharing, Joyce...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely! The name, the cake, everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Joyce, you are using homemade yogurt for this cake, love it! Sure taste good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce! I can see from your photo that the cake has tender crumbs. I have a bottle of rose water. Can't quite remember what I bought it for LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce, I love your delicate and moist cake with your homemade yogurt...so very impressive! For some reason, I wouldn't even know where to start to look for rosewater here, in S. Florida. I would probably have to google it to purchase a bottle or two. It's a nice addition to cakes! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce, homemade yoghurt ! Thumbs up for you! This cake must be delish ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce, I can imagine your kitchen filled with the aroma of citrus and fragrance of rose when this cake is baking! You even made your own greek yogurt, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely, moist cake and I love that rose water and orange combination. I would love a slice for tea. Great pick for the Mystery Box Madness Challenge! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely flavours in the cake! I prefer my cakes simple like this one. (Great tip for using the whey Joyce - thank you!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joyce,
    The cake looks moist with fine crumbs. Yum!
    I love how you homemade your own Greek yoghurtt. Over here Greek yoghurt is really expensive. Any substitute for rose water? I don't think I can get it here. Does it have the smell of roses? Hehe so many questions,thanks for sharing!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  11. So impressed that you made your own yogurt ... this looks like such a nice simple rustic cake ... suitable for a dusting of sugar or a mound of fruit ... delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was hoping someone would make a dessert and you've certainly made a lovely rose water inspired cake! Rose water seems like such a fun and exotic ingredient. Can't find it here in stores. Will probably have to order it online. So impressed that you planned ahead and made your very own greek yogurt. Gives me hope that maybe one day I will do the same;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous cake, Joyce - this is exactly the kind of cake that I love - give me this ahead of chocolate cake any day :-) The rose water and orange seems like a great combination - I think I would like that even better than the lime in the original version. Great use of your mystery ingredients :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joyce, where can I buy rose water?

    ReplyDelete
  15. jadi sering dan suka minum yoghurt nicch... karena sudah tau Manfaat Yoghurt, Yoghurt memang banyak khasiat dan manfaatnya ya :)

    ReplyDelete