Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Palets de Dames, Lille Style : TWD

I'm so excited that I've added another cookbook to my collection! Not just any cookbook, but a copy of "Baking Chez Moi" by Dorie Greenspan is now on my bookshelf among my many other favourite baking books. This fabulous book has go its own place next to Dorie's other books, Baking From My Home To Yours and Baking With Julia. Even though I have two of her books earlier on, I have never participated with the baking group "Tuesdays With Dorie (TWD)". Guess, it is about time I do that, since I would love to bake all the recipes in this book, if I could! I don't see myself putting my foot in France's patisseries, at least not in the near future, I'll just have to bring all those goodies to my kitchen, thanks to Dorie!

"Baking Chez Moi" is one beautiful book, with fabulous recipes, with easy instructions to follow, and would make you want to bake each and every recipe! Of course, if you've already own it, you would know just what I mean. TWD will be baking from this book on the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month, starting from today, 11th November. 

The first bake which TWD is baking from "Baking Chez Moi" (BCM), is Palets de Dames, Lille Style. And what a delightful choice it is, though I would be happy to start off with any bake from this lovely book.


According to Dorie, these cookies can be found in every patisserie in Lille, the northern French city that borders Belgium. These cookies are made with very simple ingredients, and the batter is like a very thick cake batter than a cookie dough. The batter is then refrigerated to firm up for at least an hour, before they are made into rounds by using a small ice cream scoop and placed on a cookie sheet, baking them for only 7-9 minutes, though mine took exactly 12 minutes, just until the edges are slightly brown. Remove them gently with a spatula and place on a rack and allow them to cool to room temperature.


Once they are cooled, glaze the top of the cookie with icing, and leave them on a wire rack to let the icing dry and firm at room temperature. According to Dorie, these cookies are served with a cup of coffee.


These Palets de Dames are so yummy! I ate one while it was still warm, minutes after baking, and it was so good.  I did reduce the sugar slightly for the batter since it is going to be dipped into the sweet icing. The sweetness turned out just right, really yummy when dipped into the sweet lemony icing, you would not stop at just one! I did not wait for the icing to set, could not resist popping one in the mouth! And yes, when the icing has finally set, these are good with a cup of coffee! These little cookies has cake-like crumbs, moist and soft. Delicate and elegant in its own way! I enjoyed these cookies, with sips of hot black coffee, while browsing thru the many delicious recipes in BCM!

The recipe can be found from online here, or better still, get the book! Check out the other bakers' take of these delightful cookies at TWD.



I'm sharing this post with :

Cook-Your-Books


28 comments:

  1. Your palets look perfect. How smart to reduce the sugar in the cookies. I ended up making a thinner icing because I thought they were sweet enough as it was. Nice meeting you, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joyce, I was browsing for local food bloggers and i came across your blog and all i can say is "Wow"...love your recipes and pictures as well. I was hoping if you can post some of your scrumptious recipes on my food portal at www.fooddit.com. It is a newly launch recipe portal we could use some great recipes such as yours. Appreciate your support ~! Cheers~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, these are good. Love the looks of your, yummy! Baked this for Dorie's birthday do! Waiting for my copy of the book to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyce, so glad you've joined up! Your cookies look so thick and tasty!!! Perfectly done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyce, It will be nice baking along with you on Tuesdays! Your cookies look perfectly beautiful and yummy! I really enjoyed them with my cup of afternoon tea! Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. they look wonderful! So soft and chewy and sweet. Wishing a had a few right now with my coffee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved these with a cup of tea. Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I've never heard of these before, but they look absolutely delightful! Yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought the sweetness was just right too - hit the spot. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are just lovely! So glad you'll be baking along with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look like a perfect companion for coffee. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that's a perfect cookie. You can almost taste the lemon just by looking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look delicious! So glad you've joined in with the group .
    Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the height (and everything else) you got on your cookies. Mine were a bit on the thinner side, though as I nibble one along with my coffee while leaving comments...I am still not complaining:) Nice to join the new adventure with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cookies look perfect! I especially love your photo showing the insides, brings back delicious memories of biting into mine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So happy to see you in the group, Joyce....we'll have lots of fun baking together. We're off to a great start, aren't we; these were delicious cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What great cookies and I'd really like to have one now with my cup of coffee! They look delicious and I will be checking out the cookbook. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. at 1st I thought is kuih :p. these cookies look so special, nice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Do excited to be baking along with you! :) It is fun to have all of the books in the series to bake out of. Glad these turned out so nicely for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are absolutely right. This book is beautiful and your cookies are too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Baking Chez Moi, too. I'm looking forward to baking through the book with everyone. Yours turned out perfectly! I wish I had some left to munch on while I'm looking through everyone's posts - it's making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yours look so perfect!! You got such nice round palets!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Joyce,

    These French treats look so special... You must be happy baking with TWD now :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  24. Joyce, these cookies look good with the glaze on top! I think I will not stop eating until I have finished all the cookies hah..hah...

    ReplyDelete
  25. yes--maybe this is the next best thing to going to france? great to see you join us--your cookies look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These were tasty! Not to mention oh so easy. Yours look wonderful. Welcome to TWD!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your cookies look perfect! I really liked these as well, I was pleasantly surprised by how cakeish they were!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You got such a good photo without using sprinkles, mine looked so bland without the colored sprinkles that I had to go with the colored sprinkles to brighten them up to photo. I like your shot of the broken cookie so that we can see the inside as well. They look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete