Friday, November 28, 2014

Broccoli Cheddar Quiche

A delicious quiche, made this a few weeks ago, for our weekend brunch. For the pastry, I've used Nick Malgieri's Flaky Pastry Dough, which I made a few weeks ago, and have kept frozen one half of it, enough for one single tart. Simply thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before using it the next day.


We love broccoli! I've added in some bacon to the filling, well, just because! Bacon makes a delicious addition, but I'm sure, you knew that! 


I love Nick Malgieri's pastry crust, it is tender, buttery and flaky, everything you would want in a pastry crust. There's no need to prebake the crust, simply fill with the filling, and bake until the crust is golden and the filling is set.



We love savoury pies, tarts and quiches in my house, and this will be making its way into my kitchen again!

* my changes listed in blue
Broccoli-Cheddar Quiche
(adapted from : Williams-Sonoma Breakfast Comforts, Rick Rodgers)
Buttery Flaky Dough (I've used Nick Malgieri's Flaky Pastry Dough)
flour for rolling out the dough

2 cups (4oz/125gm) broccoli florets
1 cup (8floz/250ml) half-and-half (I use whipping cream)
5 slices streaky bacon (chopped), my addition
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup (4oz/125gm) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

I've used my frozen dough, made with Nick Malgieri's recipe, Flaky Pastry Dough from my previous post. Thaw the dough overnight in the refrigerator. Roll it out and line the base and sides of a 9" tart pan. While this recipe from Williams-Sonoma calls for the dough to be blind-baked first, I have omitted this step. I filled the dough with the filling directly and bake as directed.

To make the filling :
Bring a medium saucepan three-fourths full of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the broccoli and cook until the florets are barely tender, about 5 minutes. (I steam the broccoli for 4-5 minutes with the steamer cover slightly ajar, so that I do not overcook the broccoli) Drain well, and pat dry with kitchen towels. (Fry chopped bacon in a dry saucepan until just lightly brown. Dish out and drain). In a bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, dill, 1/2 teaspoon salt (I use just a pinch, as bacon and cheese are already salty), and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until combined.

Scatter the broccoli, (fried bacon, if using) and cheese evenly in the prepared crust. Carefully pour the egg mixture into the crust. Bake in a preheated oven at 350F (180C) until the filling is puffed and golden brown, about 35 minutes. Let cool slightly, then serve.


I'm linking this post with :
Cook-Your-Books



17 comments:

  1. Yum! Yum! Joyce, I lau nuar already hah.hah..must go for dinner now and must bake quiche!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joyce, this is great ! I love quiche and with broccoli and streaky bacon is my kind of quiche ^-^! Yummy-licious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce , your quiche looks pretty as a picture ! You always make a perfectly-made quiche and pie :D Love broccoli but haven't had it in quiche yet :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. perfect and beautiful quiche Joyce!! look yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce , thanks for the well wishes and I would love to have a slice or two of this quiche .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Broccoli and cheddar quiche is my favorite thing to make! This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this recipe! I am sure it tasted really yummy!!! I have been baking macaroni cheese and crustless quiche but the colour and finished dish never look as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your beautiful quiche.... sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's fantastic savoury tart, Joyce. I too love broccoli a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joyce, I always wanna bake quiche but still have not take action on it, can treat me 1st? heeheehee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its been a long long time I have not taken any quiche. Yours just looks so inviting & love the combination as well. Enjoy & have a fabulous weekend.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks so yummy, I have always wanted to bake a quiche but got put off because have to make the pastry first lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joyce, I must make this amazing, and delicious Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche! Love Nick Malgieri's crust recipe, he is an amazing and famous baker. Your quiche turned out so perfect...totally craving it; a must make!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Greetings from the land of Jamie Oliver... lol. Lucky we are here. Else you will not hv enuf to feed yr family. hahahahha

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm such a sucker for quiche anything! Love the addition of cheddar...sure sounds cheesy good (⌒▽⌒)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Joyce,

    Your broccoli quiche is beautiful and I think this is a great way to convince kids to eat and love broccoli :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete