Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Sultana and Coconut Slice

"Blondies & Brownies and Bars", our theme for this week, at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC)

This will be a short post, as I'm pooped from all the CNY baking, and my kitchen is "officially" closed, time to do some cleaning up, and after that I will be away to spend the Chinese New Year with my in-laws and my dad's. Can't wait to meet up with my sisters and families! 


Two of my favourite ingredients ; sultanas and coconut. I noticed Donna Hay's cup measurement, the weight in grams is not the standard ones that I always used. For flour measurement, I have always used the standard conversion of 1 cup equals 125gm. Hers is 150gm. Well, note my own changes (in blue) in the recipe below. And I have reduced the sugar for the topping by half, and the other half of the sugar is not missed at all. It is still a little sweet for me, as the sultanas do have a certain sweetness too.


A simple bar, nothing that special. 


It is nice with a cup of tea, though.


Sultana and Coconut Slice
(source from : donnahay.com)
150 gm butter, melted
1/2 cup (90 gm) brown sugar (70 gm)
1 cup (150 gm) plain (all-purpose) flour
1 cup (80 gm) desiccated coconut (60 gm)

Topping :
2 eggs
1 cup (175gm) brown sugar (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup (75gm) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
1-1/2 cups (240gm) sultanas

Preheat oven to 180C (355F). Place the butter, sugar, flour and coconut in a bowl and mix to combine. Press the mixture into a 20cm x 30cm tin lined with non-stick baking paper. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Set aside.

To make the topping, place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until thick and pale. Fold through the flour and baking powder and stir in the sultanas. Spread the topping over the base and bake for 25 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool in the tin and cut into squares to serve. Serves 6-8.
OT12/17/14

To see the delicious treats that everyone has made, stop by I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC).

IHCC Donna Hay Badge resized


22 comments:

  1. you always introduce me to new and exciting dishes and recipes. I love this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely and fulfilling coconut slice.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a nice grab and go breakfast treat! Enjoy your CNY Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These coconut slices look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds delicious to me as about anything with coconut is great! Have a great CNY, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks interesting & new. Anything with coconut is a big yes to me. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love anything with coconut and your coconut slice look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummy yummy! A great combination! Joyce happy lunar new year to you and your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joyce , your coconut slice looks so delicious , wish I hade one now , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so good! Happy New Year- have a wonderful holiday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! I never had the combination of sultanas and coconuts...these bars sure sounds great with a cup of tea as you mention.
    Hope you are enjoying your week Joyce :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, very nice with a cup of tea. Love the combo of coconut and sultanas. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice coconut slice looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simple and delicious I'm sure Joyce. You deserve to close that kitchen down, Joyce! You must be pooped!

    Have a wonderful time with your family Joyce. A very Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to You and Yours! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Joyce, wishing you and your family a Happy Chinese New Year! All the best for the Yr of the Horse.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Se ve muy delicioso y bonito color gran combinaciòn,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look wonderful, particularly that chewy, coconut-y base!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love coconut anything so these look wonderful to me. I bet they would be fabulous with a cup of tea for sure. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look delicious, Joyce. Actually this looks and sounds very similar to a delicious slice my Mum used to make when we were kids, for which I don't have a recipe, so I think I'll give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete