Sunday, January 12, 2014

Homemade Pickled Jalapenos

Pickled Jalapenos has been on my list of to-try for ages. I finally got round to it. Making our own is definitely much cheaper than the ones sold in jars from the supermarket, and you can find them only from the high-end supermarkets. Again, this is one item that I am always hesitating to buy, as a small jar is rather costly. Fresh Jalapenos are really not expensive, and Pickled Jalapenos are really so easy to make, so there's really no excuse not to make some, that is, if you like pickles!

I found this recipe from David Lebovitz's website, which he adapted from "Michael Symon's Live To Cook" by Michael Symon and Michael Ruhlman. 


The Jalapeno pepper are first washed, cleaned and wiped dry. Make a few slits in each Jalapeno. Place them in a clean preserving jar. 

The brine is made by bringing to boil, the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, bay leaves, coriander seeds, black peppercorns and garlic. When the brine starts to boil, turn down heat and allow it to simmer for about 5 minutes, to infuse the flavours. Pour the brine over the Jalapenos in the jar. Place the lid on and let cool. Refrigerate for at least a week before consuming.



Pickled Jalapenos can be used in just about anything that calls for pickles. Just cut them up and use them in your Quesadillas, burgers, hotdogs, in pastas, even eaten with fried noodles, just as we love eating our local noodles with sliced pickled green chillies. 

The Pickled Jalapenos are very crunchy. The little red chilli is not crunchy at all, maybe because the red chillis are ripe, when I use to pickle them, even though they are very firm when I plucked them off the plant. Next time, I'll just stick to fresh Jalapenos for my pickles!


I cooked some fried beehoon (Chinese rice vermicelli), and had the Pickled Jalapenos, chopped up as a condiment. 

Give this a try. You could sliced up the fresh Jalapenos if you like, before soaking them in the brine instead of leaving them whole.

I've made about half a recipe from the original recipe below, using about 8 medium sized Jalapenos and 3 small red peppers from my own garden. These Pickled Jalapenos are great, really crunchy and not too sour. 


Pickled Jalapenos
(source from : David Lebovitz)
1 pound (450gm) fresh jalapeno peppers, washed (or another chile pepper in place of the jalapenos)
2-1/2 cups (625ml) water
2-1/2 cups (625ml) vinegar (David used white distilled vinegar, and so have I)
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons coarse salt, such as kosher
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
3 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons black peppercorns

  1. Stab each pepper three times with a sharp paring knife and place them in a large glass preserving jar.
  2. In a non-reactive saucepan, bring the other ingredients to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes.
  3. Remove from heat and pour the brine over the peppers. Place the lid on the jar and let cool. Once cool refrigerate for at least a week before using, if possible. (You can use them sooner, but Michael says they're worth the wait).
Serve whole, with Mexican dishes, or remove the seeds then chop and use to season any recipe that is improved by a little bit of sweet heat.



8 comments:

  1. I love pickled Jalapeno, I used to buy them in the UK since I was too lazy to make my own pickled green chillies at tht time, and top it on my Hakka mee :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pickled jalapeño too, Joyce. I never knew how easy it was to make your own. Wow! I think even I can make them myself. I plan on growing my own jalapeños this year. I can't wait! Now I will be able to have them all year. The jars I buy at the store are not only a bit pricey, sometimes they are just not crunchy enough! Thank you so much for sharing, Joyce...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joyce , your jalapenos are just beautiful , I also makes my own and the taste is much better than the store-bought ones I do a lot of canning , Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too enjoy pickled jalapeno, but never tried the homemade one....That stir-fried meehoon looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love jalapenos and so does my son. This would be a big hit.
    Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonder where I can find jalapeños locally? Maybe I'd have to make do with green chills!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are there fresh Jalapeños for sale in Kuala Lumpur?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Henry,
      Yes, you can get fresh jalapenos from Aeon supermarket and Jaya Grocer.

      Delete