Monday, February 25, 2013

Warm Cinnamon-Spiced Blueberry Cake

Clearing my pantry : From my freezer, frozen blueberries. This cake was bookmarked ever since I started baking from this wonderful cookbook "The Weekend Baker" by Abigail Johnson Dodge together with my baking friends at Avid Baker's Challenge (ABC). Our baking group are no longer baking from this book, but I will be trying out most of the recipes from this book.



Warm Cinnamon-Spiced Blueberry Cake, fresh from the oven.


The blueberries are not mixed in together with the batter before baking as with most cakes, but are scattered over the top of the batter after the first 10 minutes of baking. The blueberries are first mixed with some sugar, flour and cinnamon, and crush lightly with a fork.


This cake has a lovely brown soft crust and the blueberries are scattered all over. Some of the berries sunk to the bottom, while some are in the centre and some are right on the surface of the cake. The cake looks very nice with the scattering of blueberries on top. As usual, I have reduced the sugar and I'm so glad I did, it turned out with just the right amount of sweetness. And I have replaced the sour cream with homemade yoghurt.


The cake itself has a very moist and soft texture with tender crumbs. A lovely cake with cinnamon fragrance bursting with juicy blueberries. If you have some frozen blueberries in your freezer, give this cake a try. Simply delightful with a cup of warm tea.



Warm Cinnamon-Spiced Blueberry Cake
(adapted from "The Weekend Baker" by Abigail Johnson Dodge)
1-1/3 cups (170gm) all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon table salt
6 tablespoons (85gm) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup (227gm) granulated sugar (I use 140gm)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup (156gm) sour cream (I use homemade yoghurt)

For the topping :
3/4 cup (85gm) blueberries, rinsed and well dried
3 tablespoons granulated sugar (I use 1 tablespoon)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  1. Position an oven rack on the middle rung. Heat the oven to 350 degrees (180C). Lightly grease and flour the bottom and sides of a 9-by-2-inch round cake pan, tapping out the excess flour. (I line the bottom with parchment paper).
  2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Whisk until well blended. In a large bowl, combine the butter and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer (stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or handheld mixer) on medium speed until well blended. Add the eggs one at a time and beat just until blended. Add the vanilla with the second egg. Using a rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the butter mixture in 3 batches alternately with the sour cream, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 10 minutes.
  3. As soon as you put the cake in the oven, make the topping. In a small bowl, combine the blueberries, sugar, flour and cinnamon. Mix the ingredients together with a fork, lightly crushing the blueberries.
  4. After the cake has baked for 10 minutes, sprinkle the topping evenly over the top of the cake. Continue baking until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes longer.
  5. Transfer the cake to a rack to cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the inside edge of the pan to loosen the cake. Using a thick, dry dish towel to protect your hands, invert a large, flat plate on top of the cake pan and, holding both the pan and the plate, invert them together. Lift the pan off the cake. Invert a flat serving plate on the bottom of the cake and invert the cake one more time so that the blueberries are on top. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Storage : Cover the cooled cake in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 5 days.

#18/100


26 comments:

  1. Delicious cake with whole wheat flour

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a lovely cake to have tea with and of course, I would munch on this for lunch if I make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic! Dropping by from See Ya in the Gumbo~ now following on GFC Lynn @ Turnips 2Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce, I love the texture of this cake... and blueberries cake are my favourite. Do you know I am still baking ever so often that blueberry cake from the Pappas book. Everytime blueberries are on sale, that recipe will come out ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. As good as that favorite of mine, cherry sponge cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce! The cake indeed looks moist and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very moist and beautiful blueberry cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This technique of spreading the blueberries 10 mins after baking sounds quite interesting, isn't it. And though they were gently crushed, didn't look mashy at all. Your cake looks very moist there, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Realmente exquisito me encanta tiene un aspecto perfecto y delicioso,abrazos y abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  10. This cake has been on my "to try" list as well (for a looooong time). I think your post is the final push I needed. I have lots of frozen blueberries. Your cake looks lovely and the crumb simply looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for linking this week, Joyce! Blueberries are my favorite fruit so I know I will like your cake. I can almost smell it baking...blueberries and cinnamon...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joyce , I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a little bit here to use my stash of blueberries lol ... Love the moist texture and flavor of this cake ! The smell of this cake must be heavenly :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blueberries always goes well in bakes... thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like a delicious cookbook to bake from. This is just the kind of dessert I enjoy.
    Thank you for your visit and kind thoughts. Blessings and xo, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  15. i can see the lovely texture and the beautiful brown crust! i can have this for breakfast too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Joyce, sure looks nice this cake. Can see you really enjoy baking.....bet hubby, kids look forward everyday, peek in the kitchen see what's for dessert.
    But regret cinnamon not one of my likes....will eat but not go overboard. My wife loves it though.
    Have fun and keep well.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It seems to be so tender, so fluffy ... yuuuuum, it will be great with a coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Joyce,

    Totally agree that it is such a shame not to continue baking from this book. So far, the few items that I have baked from this book are really wonderful. Having said that, I'm guilty too for not baking anything much since my departure from ABC...

    Nevertheless, this cake looks really good and hope to bake it too :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yummm, this looks delicious. The blueberries are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a delicious looking cake. Love the blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  21. it looks delicious! I love using fruit in bread and cakes. This is no exception and adding in cinnamon sounds fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi This Cake looks Delicious. do visit my space in your free time

    ReplyDelete
  23. wah nampak sedap. sure wangi and soft. i have some frozen blueberries in my freezer.. hmm tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely moist cake & berrilicious ! It's been awhile I've not bake anything with berry since it's not the season. Your cake is so tempting that I wanted to use my frozen berries to make this cake! hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Joyce, dropping over from Michelle's See You In The Gumbo. Blueberries are my most favourite fruit with me hoping to be able to try out your cake recipe soon. Following from North of Wiarton.

    ReplyDelete