Saturday, October 13, 2012

Creamy Chicken Korma with Almonds and Stir-Fried Cauliflower with Green Chillies : IHCC

Spice Bazaar, is our theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), where we are cooking from Madhur Jaffrey's recipes. Spices! Love them! I cannot imagine my kitchen without any spices!  I love spices, the wonders of spices, when mixed together in a correct amount, an incredible whole new flavours are created. So for this week's theme,  Spice Bazaar is all about using spices, and I have chose to make Creamy Chicken Korma with Almonds and Stir-Fried Cauliflower with Green Chillies, which I served together with Turmeric Rice, which I made last week.




This is one lovely meal, Turmeric Rice served with Creamy Chicken Korma with Almonds and a vegetable dish, Stir-Fried Cauliflower with Green Chillies.



A delicious korma dish. All the wonderful spices, cardamon pods, cinnamon stick, cloves, ground cumin, ground coriander and garam masala all comes together in one delicious combination. The almonds are pureed together with the garlic and ginger, this is the first time I'm actually using almonds in a curry dish. Though the recipe uses just a little amount of cayenne pepper, about 1/4 teaspoon, I decided to spice it up a little, by substituting it with 1 teaspoon of chilli powder.  It is not at all spicy, I was tempted to add in more of the chilli powder but then my kids will be eating this as well, and also, Korma is usually not a spicy dish. Usually Korma is mild and creamy, and rich with spices. I used double the amount of garam masala, I just love using garam masala in curries, it really gives a wonderful flavours to curries. 




Creamy Chicken Korma with Almonds, one that I would cook again! Everyone was digging in for more gravy! Though it can't be seen from the photo above, there are some gravy actually, and just enough for my gravy-loving family! Note : I'll double up on the spices and ingredients for more gravy the next time!



A simple stir-fried vegetable dish, Stir-Fried Cauliflower with Green Chillies. 

An interesting ingredient here is the usage of 1 teaspoon of raw rice. The raw rice is stired in the hot oil together with some cumin seeds until the rice turns golden. Then the rest of the ingredients are added in (refer recipe below). When this dish was done, I find that it tasted just OK, nothing spectacular. The flavours actually improved about an hour later, when it was time for our meal. It gets tastier! So cook this earlier if you are planning to have it for dinner! We had a fabulous Indian dinner that night, thumbs up from the family!



IHCC



To see my friends' delicious Spice Bazaar meals, you may visit them here. If you would like to join us, you may get the full details at IHCC's Welcome! page.

I'm sharing this too with :

Creamy Chicken Korma With Almonds
(adapted from : Simple Indian Cookery by Madhur Jaffrey)
5-6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 inch piece of fresh root ginger, chopped
50gm flaked almonds
5 tablespoons olive oil or groundnut oil
2 bay leaves
8 cardamon pods
4 cloves
1 inch piece of cinnamon stick
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I used 1 tsp chilli powder)
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1.5kg chicken pieces, skinned and cut into serving portions
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons single cream
1/2 tablespoon garam masala (I use 1 tablespoon)
150ml water

  1. Put the garlic, ginger, almonds and 6 tablespoons of water into a blender and blend to a smooth paste. Put the oil in a wide pan and set it over a medium-high heat. When it is very hot, put in the bay leaves, cardamom pods, cloves and cinnamon stick and stir for 10 seconds. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until browned.
  2. Reduce the heat to medium and add the paste from the blender, along with the cumin, coriander and cayenne. Stir for 3-4 minutes, then add the tomato puree and stir for a minute longer.
  3. Add the chicken pieces, salt, cream, garam masala and water. Bring to a simmer, then cover the e pan, turn the heat to low and simmer gently for 25 minutes, until the chicken is done.

Stir-Fried Cauliflower with Green Chillies
(adapted from : Simple Indian Cookery by Madhur Jaffrey)
3 tablespoons olive or groundnut oil
1 teaspoon any raw rice
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
450gm (1lb) cauliflower florets
1-inch piece of fresh root ginger, cut into fine rounds and then into fine slivers
2 hot green chillies, cut into long slivers (do not remove the seeds)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garam masala (I use 3/4 tsp)
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric (I use 1/2 tsp)
freshly ground black pepper

  1. Put the oil into a karhai or wok and set it over a high heat. When it is hot, put in the rice and cumin seeds. Stir for a few seconds, until the rice is golden.
  2. Quickly add the cauliflower florets, ginger and chillies. Stir and fry for 5-7 minutes, until the cauliflower has browned a little.
  3. Add the salt, black pepper, garam masala and turmeric. Stir once and then add 4 tablespoons water. Cover the karhai, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 2 minutes or until the cauliflower is just tender.



23 comments:

  1. Delish! Perfect for today's weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering, just looking at the chicken and cauliflower!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hayırlı sabahlar, Ellerinize, emeğinize sağlık. Çok leziz görünüyor.

    Saygılar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patut la dari rumah gua boleh bau wangi..hehhee.tentu sedap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I share the same sentiment as Mich Piece of Cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, such a pleasing palate! Loved to join you for this meal ya...

    I too made chicken kurma today, but with cashews :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks perfect for these cooler fall evenings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joyce, Holy Smoke! And me home alone, cooking not one of my talents, now see your this fantastic cooking....
    tempting me to go buy same from a nearby Indian shop.
    I love your this dish.
    Wow! You are good, can almost get the lovely scent of the spices you used.Have a fun weekend.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh yummy Joyce... Looking at it makes my tummy growling now...:))

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous meal. I'm interested in the use of rice in the cauliflower dish--really unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joyce, this is my idea of a super yummelicious lunch or dinner! Love the korma and cauliflower dish. My goodness, if I eat this, I will have second helpings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic meal ! Full of flavor and utterly scrumptious ! I'll drop by later ! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know I know, not only you like to cook with the spices, you also like to grow them! Both the chicken & cauliflower look super duper yummy! I like, I like!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joyce, Joyce,
    The chicken and cauliflower look so so delish.
    Just like to share with you I have cooked your Tuneric rice and my hubby told me is just like the one he tasted. Very yum!!
    I also have made your pumpkin ice cream. The taste is wonderful, everyone of us loves it. Will post up soon and link back to you.
    Thanks so much for the lovely recipes..:)
    mui..^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mui mui,
      Glad that your hubby like the Turmeric Rice! Really good with any curries!
      I just made a batch of pumpkin puree, I'll be making the pumpkin ice cream again! So nice to know that your family enjoyed it!
      Thanks for trying them out and looking forward to your posts!
      Have a great week ahead!

      Delete
  15. Your korma looks great -- we just made beef korma this week and your recipe is nearly the same as the one I used, although I prefer to grind the spices. Looking forward to joining IHCC in the coming weeks (once my Jaffrey cookbooks arrive).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love kurma dishes too from chicken to beef to mutton, they are sooo delicious! great combination of flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like this.
    I love change my italian flavours.
    Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  18. I dont mind inviting myself to your place, lovely spread.

    ReplyDelete
  19. interesting to read about the raw rice..can it actually be eaten after cooking? btw, the dishes above are really mouthwatering, i probably will end up eating plates and plates of rice too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful meal, Joyce. Chicken Korma is my partner's absolute favourite Indian dishes - it's the thing he always (without fail) orders if we ever go out for an Indian meal, so I will definitely be making this for him.

    Love the sound of the cauliflower dish, and intrigued by the addition of the raw rice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow, what an incredible meal! A lovely feast.

    ReplyDelete