Monday, July 30, 2012

Jamie's Tomato and Coriander Omelete

What's for lunch today? Jamie Oliver's Tomato and Coriander Omelete. Well, the original recipe uses basil leaves, and since I do not have any basil leaves (my plant died!! so sad!), but I do have a big bunch of coriander leaves which I bought from the market this morning, so I used that instead. What can I say when it comes to omelete, an absolute favourite in my house.  In fact, as I'm writing this post, my son is happily enjoying his meal right now.

Thinking of what to prepare for lunch can be a headache sometimes! Since I have some 2 packs of cherry tomatoes in my fridge, and a packet of cheddar cheese, JO's omelete is just perfect! No basil, no problem, just replace with coriander leaves instead.


I love cherry tomatoes, popped several into the mouth as I was cutting them. They are juicy and sweet and love the "burst!" when you bite into a whole tomato! The cherry tomatoes are stir-fried in a saucepan or skillet  for a minute with a little bit of  oil, Jamie uses a mixture of butter and oil, I omit the butter. Pour in the beaten eggs. And since the beaten eggs are already seasoned with salt and pepper, I omitted the salt in the tomatoes too. Cook until egg is set, but still slightly raw on the top, scatter some cheddar cheese and the coriander leaves over. Cook further for a short while till the eggs are set and the cheese melts, then slide the cooked omelete onto a serving plate.



There, a simple lunch of Tomato and Coriander Omelete, some cheese sausages, toasted bread and some greens is ready. This simple lunch puts a happy smile on my son's face.


That's not all.....


Cut a piece of the yummy omelete and place it on the toasted bread, spread with a generous serving of chimichurri (pesto), delicious! Post on the chimichurri coming up soon!


I'm linking this with "Cook Like A Star", an event organized by my baking buddy, Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids where the featured chef for this month of July, is Jamie Oliver. Head on over to Zoe's to see the delicious Jamie Oliver's yummies that everyone has made.




I'm sharing this too, with :
Recipe Box hosted by Bizzy Bakes


Tomato and Coriander Omelete
(Jamie's Food Revolution, by Jamie Oliver)
Serves 1
2-3 large eggs
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
a pat of butter
a small handful of grated Cheddar cheese
a handful of basil (or coriander leaves)
a handful of cherry tomatoes

Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper. Beat well with a fork.
Pick the leaves off 2 or 3 sprigs of fresh basil (or coriander leaves) and roughly tear them. Cut a handful of cherry tomatoes in half and add to a hot frying pan with a small pat of butter, a drizzle of olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry and toss around for about 1 minute, then turn the heat down to medium. Add your eggs and move the pan around to spread them out evenly. When the omelete begins to cook and firm up, but still has a little raw egg on top, sprinkle over the Cheddar and the basil leaves. Using a spatula, ease around the edges of the omelete. When it starts to turn golden brown underneath, remove the pan from the heat and slide the omelete on to a plate.



25 comments:

  1. What a healthy & an appetizing lunch! I would love to have this for brunch now! Love the addition of coriander pesto! Another yummy recipe from JO! YUM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can have few of these omelettes but I just have to remind myself of the cholesterol, haha! This is a yummy lunch for me! Wow, so far there are 45 dishes cooked in this month, very good result, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a simple and delicious omelette ! Couldn't wait for that coriander pesto recipe ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I just had omelette for lunch today, I added minced meat and green onions into mine....adding cheese sure makes it even more delicious! would add this next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks colorful and delicious. And I like the idea with putting it on a toast :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce, I just came across a series of excellent instructional videos by Heston Blumenthal, here is his on how to cook eggs http://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-to-cook-like-heston/4od#3296439.
    It really is excellent. I am going to try the scrambled egg method on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joyce, now this is what I'd called a first class breakfast or lunch!
    With someone like you with your very impressive culinary skills, it'll always be a pleasure and delight coming home for lunch or dinner.
    Love your style!
    Have a nice day.....
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely catch phrase... No basil, No problem! LOL!

    Your omelete looks fantastic! I have a catch phrase for you too. Happy tummy, Happy boy :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love cherry tomatoes too and have plenty on my plant right now to try this lovely omelette.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am liking the use of coriander with the tomatoes in this omelete. Coriander is definitely not used enough in my opinion I must try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a delicious lunch! I sure would love to have this too. I like the taste of Coriander...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tried this today ! It works!
    My family like the tomato and coriander omelete so much! Thank you for making me look like a professional cooker. :)
    submit your food photos on a Food Photography to make others hungry?
    You know it’s fun to do that. LOL. Hey, probably they would do this recipe too. :)
    XOXO~

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi joyce, i can imagine how tasty it is with th extra cheese you put in! i'm drooling at your toasted bread with omelette and pesto! this will put a big smile on my face too if you're making it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Joyce, what a beautiful omelette! Would really love this for breakfast *hint hint* haha. have a great week ahead! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, I forgot to add that I've nominated you an award at http://foodismylife.wordpress.com/2012/07/31/re-bake-jamie-olivers-easy-chocolate-cake-and-an-award/ hope you like it! Take care!

      Delete
  15. Oh Joyce, this is done so elegantly...simple and so beautiful!
    Thanks for sharing this recipe and hope you are having a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you everyone, for stopping by and your lovely comments!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great to serve in a lovely breakfast time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice blog :)
    salam kenal sobat :)
    di tunggu kunjungan balik.nya ya !terimakasih ...

    ReplyDelete