Monday, September 27, 2010

Two Tone Bread

It has been awhile since I last baked a bread.  And this bread turns out a little "too-green"! The texture is really soft. When I cut the first slice, I can feel the softness of the bread, but when I saw the colour, OMG! why is it so green!  The same reaction with my hubby, when I gave him a slice!  The kids think that the green is really nice!  Besides that, the bread turns out really well.





This is a recipe from Alex Goh's, "Magic Bread".  His instructions are all very brief, which might be confusing for someone who is totally new at baking and I notice that most of the baking pan recommended are not suitable.  For this bread, he states that the size of  17x9x7cm pan should be used and this will yield 4 loaves of bread!  Looking at the amount of the dough, I am not confident that this will make 4 loaves of bread, even though the pans recommended are small, besides, I do not have such size pans.  I decided to make this into two loaves by using 21x11x6cm pans, and I'm glad I did.

Take note that the gelatinized dough needs to be prepared a day earlier.  This is fairly easy and simple.








This bread is great spread with butter, it still stays soft the next 2 days.  Does it stay soft on the fourth day?  No idea, we finished it all on the third day. Really good with a cup of hot coffee.
(Tip : Keep bread in airtight container and do not slice until needed, it will stay soft longer. Once sliced, it will dry out quicker)


Two-Tone Bread
(adapted from "Magic Bread" by Alex Goh)
Ingredients A :
100gm bread flour
70gm boiling water (I use 80gm)

Ingredient B :
400gm bread flour
10gm milk powder
25gm coconut milk powder
75gm sugar
7gm salt
8gm instant yeast

Ingredient C :
170gm cold water
1 cold egg

Ingredient D :
80gm butter

Ingredient E :
some green colouring

Ingredient F :
50gm toasted chopped macadamia nuts
50gm raisins

Method :
  1. Add the boiling water from A into flour, mix until well-blended to form dough.  Cover and set aside to cool.  Keep refrigerated for at least 12 hours.
  2. Mix B until well-blended.  Add in C and knead to form rough dough.  Add in A and knead until well-blended.
  3. Add in D and knead to form elastic dough.  Take 400gm of the dough and mix with E until well-blended.  Add in F and mix until well-combined.  The rest of the dough remains plain.
  4. Let it proof for 40 minutes.  Divide the plain and green dough into 4 portions each and mould it round.
  5. Let it rest for 10 minutes, then roll it flat.
  6. Place a piece of flatten green dough on top of plain dough, roll it up like Swiss roll.
  7. Place it into a greased 17x9x7cm loaf tin.  Make 4 loafs.  Let it proof for 50 minutes.
  8. Bake at 180C for 30 minutes.

There will be a  "Culinary Smackdown Battle Chile October 2010" at "At Home With Rebecka". Go on, get some hot stuff smoking and head on down to Rebecka's.  Please do drop by her wonderful blog for more info.  Have fun!

22 comments:

  1. It's almost 11pm and my stomach is crying out for 2 tone bread. Next time I must remember to view your blog immediately after a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is really eye catching. I'll wager that color aside your bread is delicious. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely caught my attention with this bread. I would like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty..liked the marbled look...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy to see that you added the pickled ginger recipe to your blog!! I'm off to bookmark it right now!! Love your blog♥

    I also wanted to let you know that I'll be featuring you on my blog this week with a Lovely Blog Award...please stop by my blog to pick up your award!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool is this bread!? I love the green. There's no such thing as too green, lol. Thank you for linking your lovely bread up to Cookbook Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bread loaves look so pretty and soft!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this green bread! It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's some pretty colorful two toned bread! Bet it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the green swirl in this bread! I've never seen coconut milk powder here- I'll have to look for it. This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi alison,
    Thanks! Have a good day!

    Hi One,
    It has been a few hours after dinner, time for late supper! Cheers!

    Hi Mary,
    The green is definitely eye-catching! You have a pleasant day too!

    Hi Katerina,
    Thank you for stopping by. Hope you enjoy trying it out. Have a nice day!

    Hi Vrinda,
    Thanks! Have a lovely day!

    Hi Rebecka,
    I think that you will enjoy the pickled ginger. And thank you so much for the award. Be honoured to pick it up! Cheers!

    Hi Brenda,
    Yes, green is cool, isn't it? It has always been fun linking up to Cookbook Sundays. Have a nice day!

    Hi Angie,
    Thanks! Have a nice day!

    Hi Reeni,
    Thanks! Have a nice day!

    Hi Pam,
    Yes, it is delicious spread with butter! Have a nice day!

    Hi scrambledhenfruit,
    Thanks! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's so cool! green bread! my son would love it.
    I hope you can participate in the Copycat Club. I'd love to have you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. it looks pretty! i have never seen a green bread :) and the ingredients sound so amaizng that i am sure it turned out to be a very yummy bread!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Tia,
    Will try to participate, looking for recipes now! Thanks for visiting!

    Hi Mimosa Cafe
    Thank you for dropping by. Hope to see you often. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the two tone color of the bread! It would be fun to serve it at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool.. I have always wondered how people can do this... beautiful photos! - Meg

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so smart! I've never thought of have a two tone bread. Fantastic idea

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Linda,
    The green does remind us of Christmas, isn't it! Have a nice day.

    Hi Megan,
    Thank you. Now you know how it's done, you can play around with other colours!

    Hi Brittany,
    Thank you but this recipe is from our local pastry chef, Alex Goh! Thank you anyway! Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. am fascinated by ur wonderful spaces on cookery and lush patch of green.. following you from now on..congrats!!mini binoy

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi joyce i love ur blog.....can i pls check with u....for d butter does it have to b melted, straiht out from d fridge or softened? tks much for sharing...happy day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      Thank you for stopping by!
      The butter should be at room temperature, softened.
      Have fun baking!

      Delete