Monday, July 5, 2010

Buttery Rolls

This bun bread is so perfectly soft and bursting with butter flavour! I have made this several times since I found this recipe which was about, maybe almost a year ago. It is such a delightful bun to make, so super easy and quick. The texture is so...so... soft, and it stays soft the next day too. I just ate it plain with a cup of hot steaming black coffee, no cream please, just plain black coffee. Yum... It is really, really good. Can you tell from the picture below how fluffy this bread is?? . Believe me, it is very fluffy, soft, tasty and just fantastic! Well, don't take my word for it... go on, do a batch and decide for yourself!




I got this wonderful recipe from allrecipe.com, contributed by Debbie Leonard. (Thank you Debbie for sharing this gorgeous bread). There were over 200 reviews for this recipe and all the reviews rated this as either 4 stars or 5 stars. Go check it out and try it out. You will be reaching for the second piece before your coffee gets cold!

The dough is mixed using the bread machine at basic dough setting, after that, just roll and shape away. Already planning to do this again this week by baking this fluffy bun in a muffin pan, and it will be great as burger buns for lunch.





Buttery Rolls
(source from : allrecipes.com ~ submitted by Debbie Leonard)

Ingredients :

1 cup warm milk (70 to 80 degrees F)
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 tsp salt
4 cups bread flour
2-1/4 tsp active dry yeast

Method :
  1. In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing : add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
  2. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 24 portions; shape into balls. Place in a greased 13" x 9" x 2" baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees F for 13-16 minutes or until golden brown.
(my notes : dough should be soft but not sticky. I roll them into 75- 80 gm balls and got about 13 rolls. I put 9 rolls in a 7" square baking pan and the other 4 in a small round pan. I then let it rise for about 30 - 35 minutes.)


Updated post :
I made another batch two days later :
I mould them into 180gm balls and roll them swiss roll style with ham and cheese as filling, bake 3 rolls in a loaf pan. Delicious. So soft and fluffy. Will be making this again next week as savoury bun, sardine perhaps.... perfect as breakfast for the kids.


With cheese


With ham



6 comments:

  1. Hi Angie,
    Yes, they sure are really soft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dont you let this rise until it doubles? I see you wrote "Cover and let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes."
    Also, I don't own a bread machine so could I instead use the hook on my standalone mixer to mix the dough until it passes the windowpane test (when you stretch a bit of dough, and it is translucent and does not break). Thaanks. Regine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Regine,
    If you have noticed from my note listed in green above, I have indicated that I left the dough to rest for 30-35 minutes. I have not tried making the dough using my stand mixer, but I think that it would work too.
    Hope that this bread would turn out well for you. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no bread machine so I use the hook on my stand alone mixer to knead the dough till it passed windowpane test. Then I let it rise till it doubled. Since it is now very cold, it took about 4 hours to rise (next to a bowl of boiled water inside a microwave). I punched it down and did a second rising in fridge overnight. Maybe not necessary but it was convenient for me. It finished doubling the day after a couple of hours at room temperature. After I shaped into balls I let them rise till doubled (as in most recipes for rolls). The rolls turned out incredibly light. Thanks for sharing. Regine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Regine,
      Glad to know that the rolls turned out well for you! A great idea to leave the rolls in the fridge overnight for the second rising. Your family must be thrilled to have fresh soft lovely rolls the next morning! Thanks for letting me know that your rolls turn out really light! Hope you have a wonderful week ahead!

      Delete